IncFile LLC Formation Service Review
Incfile sets itself apart in the business formation industry with their very affordable price point: their basic LLC formation package is free (except state fees) and includes a free year of registered agent service.
For each company we reviewed, we formed a unique LLC, verified the paperwork was filed correctly and timely, monitored for unexpected charges, and then rated them on the following criteria:
IncFile does a great job. They offer good value, easy signup, and a bright and helpful website. Incfile is a well established company with a stripped down infrastructure. Incfile offers one very rock-bottom price for LLC formations, and if you know what you’re doing, and you know what you want, we recommend using them.
Incfile’s Silver Package is a great value. It’s an “essentials only”, no-fee formation service. With this service, you’ll also receive a free year of registered agent service, which is a great bonus. Just keep in mind that you will need to officially change your registered agent and cancel auto-renewal before your first year is up if you don’t want to pay $119 to continue this service. Incfile is playing the long game with this no-fee formation service. They’re hoping you stick around and use their registered agent service for the life of your business.
For most small business owners, the extra services you get with the Gold and Platinum packages will probably not be worth the extra cost. The main additional features you get with the Gold package are an EIN and an operating agreement. Some businesses might find it worthwhile to pay $149 for a customized operating agreement, but most will be fine using an operating agreement template, which you can find for free online. You can also get an EIN for free directly from the IRS.
The Platinum package adds even less additional value to justify the expense. A web domain name and email address can be purchased much cheaper elsewhere, and the business contract templates won’t be useful to most new business owners. Only some states offer expedited filing, and if your state offers it, Incfile will give you the option to pay the state’s expedited filing fee with the Silver or Gold Package. Expedited filing fees vary by state, but the average is around $50.
Lots of Third-Party Offers and Upsells
Some of the additional features you get with the Gold and Platinum packages are really third-party offers with questionable value. For example, the business tax consultation that is offered with the Gold and Platinum package is conducted by a third party, and we saw multiple customer reviews claiming that the third-party company they talked to during this “consultation” spent the entire time trying to up-sell them and could not answer their basic tax questions.
The business bank account offered with the Gold and Platinum packages is also a third-party offer through Bank of America. You can open a business bank account for free at most banks and credit unions, so there’s no need to pay extra to get a “free” bank account with Bank of America.
We formed a Delaware LLC with IncFIle and they filed our paperwork the next day. We had a fully formed LLC in four business days.
Customer complaints against Incfile often revolve around their customer support. When we called Incfile’s customer support line, we were sent to voicemail. However, when we called again an hour later, we got through right away. The customer support rep was professional and answered our questions. For most customers, Incfile’s customer support would probably be just fine. But someone who anticipates needing a lot of support starting their business might prefer an LLC service with longer support hours and more specialized customer support reps.
Incfile has a great, user friendly sign up process.
Incfile offers a physical business address that you can use for your LLC for $29/month. It’s a great option for those seeking privacy or for those with businesses operated out of their homes.
In addition to a variety of LLC formation packages, Incfile also offers:
- Lifetime Company Alerts: Included with the Gold and Platinum packages. Incfile will send you an alert when your state reports are due.
- Annual Report Filing: $99 plus state fees. Incfile will file your business’s annual or biennial report for you.
- Amendments: $99 plus state fees. You might need to file an amendment if you decide to change your business name, update your address, or add or remove members from your LLC.
- Business license research package: $99. Incfile will send you a list of all the licenses that apply to your business, along with the forms you will need to apply for them. However, they do not complete the forms or file them for you.
- Trademark registration: $199 plus state fees. A lawyer will help you register a trademark for your business. This could be useful if you want to protect your business name, logo, or slogan.
Once you are signed up with Incfile, you’re able to purchase additional services that your business might need down the road. These services include a Certificate of Good Standing, Foreign Registration, and S-Corp tax election, among others.
Here are links to our reviews of a few of Incfile’s main competitors:
- Northwest Registered Agent: Normally $225 plus state fees, including a year of registered agent service. Currently offering a promotional price of $39 plus state fees, plus a free year of registered agent service ($125 per year after that).
- ZenBusiness: Normally $49 plus state fees with registered agent service at $199 per year. Currently offering a promotional price of $39 plus state fees, plus a free year of registered agent service, $119 per year after that.
- LegalZoom: Starts at $79 plus state fees. Registered agent service costs $299 per year.
Prefer a side-by-side comparison? See how Incfile matches up to these competitors in our comparison reviews linked below: